Children’s Orthopaedic Surgery: with a special interest in hip and lower limb problems.
General Children’s Orthopaedics:
- DDH, CTEV, Cerebral palsy, surgical aspect of certain syndromes
- General paediatric orthopaedic surgical conditions
Adult Orthopaedic Surgery: with a special interest in lower limb condition (Hip / Knee joint arthroplasty, knee joint arthroscopy)
- MB ChB
01254 263555 ext. 4165 (secretary)
Clinic Assess Times
New patients -Thursday am.
New and follow up patients - Friday am.
|Children or Adult clinics (alternate)||Monday pm.|
|Elective operating: 1x month BGTH||Monday pm.|
|All clinics Royal Blackburn Teaching Hospital||Fracture clinic area|
|Pre-operative surgery assessment (children)||Alternative week, Monday am.
Royal Blackburn Teaching Hospital
|Elective Operating list (alternate BGTH or RBTH)||Tuesday all day|
- I have been a consultant In Orthopaedic Surgery in East Lancashire for 27 years. I trained in London, Manchester & undertook a fellowship in Stuttgart
- My main clinical and research interests are in children’s orthopaedic Surgery. Treated >200 cases of CTEV & > 100 cases of surgical treatment of developmental dysplasia of the hip (open reduction, femoral & pelvic osteotomy)
- In adult surgery, I trained in the Northwest & Wrightington Hospital with extensive experience in total joint replacement & arthroscopy (>1,300 hip and knee replacements, > 2000 knee arthroscopies))
- Nationally I have been a committee member of the British Society of Children’s Orthopaedic Surgery (BSCOS) and am presently an elected council member of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
- I have been a national and international examiner for the FRCS (T & O) exit exam (UK, Eire, Hong Kong & Singapore, 1999-2018)
- Fellow of the Faculty of Surgical Trainers, awarded to individuals with a clear commitment to excellence, with a high level of commitment in the field of surgical education and training.
- Course development: National courses in Children’s Orthopaedics (convenor and lecturer) & Host for BSCOS annual meeting & FRCS(T & O) examination
|2006 & 14||North West Orthopaedic Trainer of the Year (as voted by the Orthopaedic StRs, NWOTA)|
|2009||R Paton & team, winner ‘Outstanding Contribution’ NHS Star Awards, East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust|
Silver Clinical Excellence Award, National (ACCEA)
|2012||John Sharrard Memorial Medal, Invited lecture, Current Concepts in Paediatric Orthopaedics
British Society for Children’s Orthopaedic Surgery, London
|2009-17||Honorary Senior Lecturer, University of Manchester|
|2012 -18||Visiting Professor, University of Central Lancashire|
|2016-21||Elected as member of Council, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh|
|2017||Member of the DDH screening committee, Public Health England (NIPE) developing national screening guidance|
DDH: National and International expert in the screening of DDH
CTEV, Education, Musculoskeletal TB, Vitamin D Deficiency, knee & hip surgery
12 regional research prizes co –authored with StRs, NWOTA
67 Pubmed entries
Researchgate: RG index 34.16, h factor 19/19 (top 7.5% for research)
2016 King James IV Professorship Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh,
Acknowledged National & International expert (on research portfolio as a
Consultant). Awarded in open competition.
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Society for Children’s Orthopaedic Surgery
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- British Medical Association
- NWOA (North West Orthopaedic Association)
- NWCOG (North West Children’s Orthopaedic Group)