What we do
The Integrated Eye Service provides an extensive range of eye services for both adults and children.
We provide a range of services for all local residents and people from further a field who choose to be treated by our department.
All our consultants are experts in their fields of ophthalmology and undertake all types of eye surgery.
They are all assisted by a team of doctors and nurses who all pride themselves on the delivery of the very best quality patient care.
Our main focus is the treatment and care of NHS patients with a wide range of eye problems, from common eye complaints to more specialised eye complaints which need expert care.
All planned surgery is undertaken at Burnley General Teaching Hospital in two dedicated eye theatres.
Treatments and services
- Accident and Emergency (A&E) – for urgent sight-threatening conditions based at Ward 6 of the Burnley General Hospital
- Cataract – a common eye condition, in which the lens becomes progressively opaque, resulting in blurred vision
- External disease – for conditions relating to the outside part of the eyeball, including the cornea, iris and sclera.
- Glaucoma – treatment for the signs and symptoms of glaucoma, including increased pressure within the eye, which causes gradual sightloss if left untreated
- Oculo Plastic – for treatment of conditions affecting the eyelids, orbit and tear glands
- Medical retina – for conditions at the back of the eye, which are treated medically using drugs, eye drops or lasers, and including diabetic eye conditions
- Paediatrics – for children’s eye conditions
- Strabismus (squints) - for both children and adults.
- Vitreo-retinal – for conditions inside the back of the eye that require surgical intervention, including laser treatment for the retina.
We also provide a range of specialist clinical support services, including -
- Medical imaging – the use of medical camera equipment to assist in the assessment of conditions related to the eye
- Ocular prosthetics – the cryolite glass replacement of the natural eye following extraction
- Orthoptics - a discipline dealing with the diagnosis and treatment of defective eye movement and coordination
- Optometry – the prescription and fitting of lenses to improve vision, and to diagnose and treat various eye diseases including medical contact lens, refraction and low vision aid services.
How to access the service
We accept emergency referrals from Opticians, GP’s, the Urgent Care and Minor Injuries Units and the Emergency Department (A&E)
Where to find us
All inpatient and day case surgery services take place via Ward 6, Burnley General Teaching Hospital
Urgent Service – The emergency eye clinic is located on Ward 6 at the Burnley General Teaching Hospital
Out-Patient services - including the Medical Retina Service and Wet Macular Degeneration services at Royal Blackburn and Diabetes at the Royal Blackburn and Burnley General Hospitals.
Community based Out-patient clinics held at –
- Rossendale Lift Centre
- Barbara Castle Way, Blackburn
- Accrington Victoria Hospital
- Clitheroe Community Hospital
Mr B Fernando - Clinical Director
Mr B Fernando, Clinical Director – Oculoplastics
Mrs M Mohan, Quality and Safety Lead – Paediatrics
Mrs S Abugreen, Research Lead – Macular
Mrs Sanghvi, Education Lead – Diabetic Retina
Mr David - Vitreoretinal
Mr Usmani - Corneal
Mr V Shankar, Clinical Effectiveness Lead - Glaucoma
Catherine Thompson - Ophthalmology Department Manager
Tina Boddie – Macular Specialist Nurse
Donna Merritt - Glaucoma Specialist Nurse
Kay Lynch - Glaucoma Specialist Nurse
Janette Walkden - A/E Specialist Nurse
Helen Reynolds - Lead
Stephanie Smith - Deputy
Plus their dedicated team of Orthoptists
Sufyaan Patel – paediatric refractions, AMD
Michael Anderson – paediatric refractions, AMD
We have a visiting ocular prosthetist
Plus an extensive team of dedicated health professionals
Ward 6 - 01282 804006
Eye Clinic - Royal Blackburn Teaching Hospital - 01254 734657
Eye Clinic - Burnley General Teaching Hospital - 01282 804184
Appointment Booking Office:
- New Appointment - 01282 803763
- Follow up appointment - 01282 804494
- Surgical Booking Office - 01282 803107 or 01282 803147
Ward 6 is open Monday to Friday 7am to 8pm for inpatients - any inpatients will be transferred to another ward at Burnley General Teaching Hospital if an overnight stay is necessary and will be returned to Ward 6 the following morning.
There is a Doctor on call for emergencies.
There is a daily clinic to urgent patients and then the doctor will cover the on call service from 6pm to 8pm on Ward 6 and then 8pm to 9am on call for strict emergencies only.