IMPORTANT CORONAVIRUS UPDATE
Due to the Current COVID pandemic we are currently providing clinic consultation via telephone. You will receive a telephone call to confirm details for a telephone consultation for your child or your will receive a letter asking you to confirm your contact details
If you need to speak with your child’s consultant please contact their secretary or telephone 01282 803605 .
Additional guidance in relation to COVID-19 (coronavirus)
Links to local Offers
What we do
We provide community and neurodevelopmental services for children and young people across Blackburn with Darwen and East Lancashire (Hyndburn, Ribble Valley, Burnley, Pendle and Rossendale).
- Developmental problems diagnostic assessment – and medical management via CDC services (pre school)
- Developmental Co-ordination disorder diagnostic assessment (6-16 years)
- Autistic Spectrum Disorders Diagnostic assessment (5 -11 years)
- ADHD diagnostic assessment in primary school aged children (5 -11 years)
- Cerebral Palsy diagnosis and medical management – 0-16 years.
- Assessment of ongoing effects of head injuries in children 0-16 years (non acute)
- Medical aetiological investigation of school age children with moderate to severe learning disabilities. (5-16 years)
- Medical management of complex neurological or genetic conditions (in association with other specialist services).
- Medical advice for Integrated Assessments for Education Health Care Plans
- Initial Health assessments for Children coming Into Care (Looked After Children).
- Health assessments of children being placed for adoption.
The service aims to provide medical assessment and diagnostics within the expertise of Community Neurodevelopmental Paediatrics for the population of East Lancashire and Blackburn with Darwen . the service is available up to the age of 16, excepting those with complex disability who are attending special schools who are seen up to age 19years.
This specialist area of Community and Neurodevelopmental Paediatrics covers two distinct broad areas of service - Neurodevelopmental (Neurodisability and Neurobehavioural conditions) and Community (LAC and adoption medical assessments, aspects of Safeguarding and medical advice for Special Educational Needs (SEND) .
It focuses on the multi-disciplinary diagnostic assessment for children with the following health needs; and with medical aspects of management.
How to access the service
Referrals will be accepted for triage from GPs, Paediatricians, School Nurses, Health Visitors and Therapists (Speech and language, physiotherapy and occupational therapy), Psychologists and Psychiatrics, Children’s Social Care (Social Workers, Education (Specialist teachers and SenCo’s).
Please note that in order to maximise effective use of the service, referrals are reviewed in advance of offering appointments and may be returned with information on a more appropriate service or redirected if not appropriate to the service/more information required.
Where to find us
Community Paediatric and Neurodevelopmental clinics at:
- Royal Blackburn Hospital
- Burnley General Hospital – Rainbow Outpatients, The Rainbow Centre, Level 7 Floor 1.
- Clitheroe Community Hospital
- Holly House, Child Development Centre, Acorn Centre, Accrington
- Livsey All Age Children’s Centre
- Shadsworth Childrens Centre
- St Peter's Health Centre, Burnley
- Barbara Castle Way Health Centre
- Darwen Health Centre
- Rossendale Primary Care Health Centre
- Holly House, Acorn Centre, Accrington
We also provide clinic’s within some special schools, Integrated Neighbourhood Teams and Integrated Locality Teams
Dr Sheila Reilly – Clinical Lead
Catherine Whitney – Matron for Community Neurodevelopmental Paediatrics
Dr S Perera – Consultant Community Neurodevelopmental Paediatrician, BwD
Dr S Ariyaratnam - Consultant Community Neurodevelopmental Paediatrician, BwD
Dr D Ratnaweera – Specialist Doctor Community Neurodevelopmental Paediatrician, BwD
Dr K Rakshi - Consultant Community Neurodevelopmental Paediatrician, Burnley Pendle
Dr L Williams - Consultant Community Neurodevelopmental Paediatrician, Burnleya and Pendle
Dr S Stuart – Booth - Consultant Community Neurodevelopmental Paediatrician, Burnley and Pendle
Dr S Malakar - Consultant Community Neurodevelopmental Paediatrician, Hyndburn, Ribble Valley and Rossendale
Dr S Reilly - Consultant Community Neurodevelopmental Paediatrician, Hyndburn, Ribble Valley and Rossendale
Dr S Valli - Consultant Community Neurodevelopmental Paediatrician (locum), Hyndburn, Ribble Valley and Rossendale
Dr T Yasawardena - Specialist Doctor Community Neurodevelopmental Paediatrician, Hyndburn, Ribble Valley and Rossendale (on secondment until March 2019)
section under construction
We offer a Monday to Friday service between the hours of 8:30am and 5pm. We are closed during bank holiday and the Christmas period.
Some parts of our assessment processes are held on set days due to the availability of multi disciplinary professionals and to ensure we are able to meet our ever growing service need. Where we can flexible we will endeavour to do so however please be mindful of this if we can not accommodate an alternative day and time.
For the majority of children accessing our service, care is provided in conjunction with other agencies and NHS trusts. Children should receive appropriate, high quality care that is integrated and coordinated around their health needs whilst taking into account any additional factors. We strive to try and achieve this where possible.
We are always looking at ways to improve the quality of care we provide and we want you and your family to let us know how we can be even better. Please tell us what you think about our service, we would like to know if we do not meet the standards we have set but also if you were happy with your experience within our service.