Data Protection and Confidentiality
Confidentiality affects everyone. Here at Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust we take our duty to protect the confidentiality and security of personal information very seriously and are committed to ensuring that there are appropriate measures in place to secure this. Everyday, the Trust processes vasts amount of personal data for the administration of our patients and business needs.
Why we Collect Personal Information
All health professionals at the Trust need to keep patient records in order to deliver the best possible service and care outcomes. These records may be manual (i.e. physical paper records) or electronic (i.e. records held on a computer system or database) and may include:-
- Basic details, such as your address, next of kin contacts, status etc.
- Details about the treatment care and support that you need and receive
- Investigation results, such as x-rays and laboratory tests
- Relevant information from other health and social care professionals, relatives or those who care for you and know you well.
Your Information Helps us to …….
We need your information because it helps us too:-
- Confirm who you are and when we can contact you
- Make decisions about your ongoing care and treatment
- Check your care is the right type and is safe and effective
- Ensure we have accurate and up to date information to assess your needs
- Allows us to investigate any concerns or complaints you may make.
Simply calls us to ensure we have your correct name and address details. It is imperative that our records are updated frequently so we have the correct information to send future correspondence to the right address!
This Fair Processing Notice does not give a full explanation of the Law. Should you wish to find out further information about your rights then please contact the Information Commissioner’s Office for further details at www.ico.gov.uk.
Should you wish to know more about any information that is held about you as a patient, please contact your local health care provider or Trust Team.
The Data Controller
For the purpose of this fair processing notice the data controller for all data processing is:-
East Lancashire Hospital NHS Trust
Royal Blackburn Teaching Hospital
Information Governance Department